UICC cards, Universal Integrated Circuit Cards, have standardized slot cards that allow a subscriber to easily transfer over an entire wireless account from one phone to another. One's address book and text messages will also carry over.
|(Photo Credit: Salim Fadhley)|
PIN codes are used to protect the content of the card: one PIN for normal usage and another for specific functions.
Telefonica selected the UICC card due to these key components:
- Authentification for IP networks
- Authentification for different Radio Access Network
- Stores critical information like location information or EPS security
- Standardized ICE (In Case of Emergency) user information
- blood types
- Improved toolkit functionality